top of page
  • Writer's pictureESPFA


Unfortunately, in a week of wicked weather, only two games went ahead in #MatchweekNine of the NPLFA season.

In the JOMA Division, the only game that survived the down pours was Stafford Rangers v Radcliffe. The away side took all three points after 2-4 victory which sees them leap frog above Stafford in the table, and move them up to second behind Mickleover Sports.

The lone game in the Sports Traider Division was Mickleover Sports v Runcorn Linnets and the home side continued to impress, extending their perfect start to four wins out of four. Mickleover remain in third spot in the table behind Skelmersdale United and Widnes but have played three games less than them both respectively. Runcorn remain in fourth spot on 6 points, just ahead of Ossett United on goal difference.

Despite only two games going ahead in #MatchweekNine of the NPLFA season, there were still some brilliant performances throughout. Congratulations to all students nominated and selected by their coaches for #TeamOfTheWeek and a special mention to Mickleover Sports student, Lewis Benjamin whose performances in #MatchweekNine earned him the title of ‘Player of the Week!”.

Although there were only two games played on Wednesday, they were both 6 goal thrillers that can’t be missed! Catch all of the goal action and match highlights below.

Game Review of the Week comes from the Joma Division, where Stafford Rangers hosted Radcliffe. After having their perfect start ended by defeat to Leek Town last week, Stafford Rangers will be eager to get back to winning ways. Radcliffe, who have had a slow start due to postponed games are finding their rhythm at the right time and had the opportunity to go level on points with Stafford.


In this JOMA Division match up, it see’s second place Stafford Rangers take on the third place Radcliffe, with both sides looking to continue their impressive form.

It was the home side who started the game most brightly, seeing almost all of the ball in the first five-minutes, but couldn’t turn their possession into any convincing chances early on.

Radcliffe however did have an early chance to take lead just shy of the ten-minute mark. Rhys Moseley brought the ball under control in the Stafford half and played in Jake Cubbins, making a strong run forward from midfield. The keeper came out to close Cubbins down, but he touched it around him but his effort from a tight angle hit the post.

Moseley was instrumental in his sides early success and set up another chance for his team. He received the ball in a pocket of space on the left channel and stepped inside onto his right foot to play a squared ball across the box. The pass reached Matthew Ridings who’s left footed effort forced a full stretch save from the Stafford keeper.

Radcliffe found the break through after 20 minutes and surprise, surprise it was Moseley who got them in front. Oliver Bucale headed on a goal kick and Moseley chased down the ball. He took a nice tough and turned a Stafford defender while he made his way into the box. With a defender closing Moseley down he managed freeze the keeper with some fancy footwork and was able to poke the ball goal wards and score Radcliffe’s first of the game. Stafford Rangers 0-1 Radcliffe.

It didn’t take long for Radcliffe to double their lead either. Just 5-minutes after opening the scoring, Radcliffe scored their second thanks to some quick thinking from Oliver Bucale. In the build-up, Ridings was able to isolated the left back and get past him to put a cross in. it was headed on by Bucale and a Stafford defender was able to get his head to it but went straight up on the air. Bucale was first to latch on to the failed clearance and hit the dropping ball first time, which slotted into the bottom left corner. Stafford Rangers 0-2 Radcliffe.

HALF TIME: Stafford Rangers 0-2 Radcliffe

Moseley nearly had an instant impact on the game in the second half too and could have scored an absolute screamer if it wasn’t for a wonderful fingertip save from the Stafford keeper to deny him. Moseley picked the ball up inside the Stafford half and ran at the defence. He cut inside on to his right foot an unleashed a powerful effort that was destined to nestle in the goal just below the bar. Unfortunately for Radcliffe, the keeper was up to the challenge and produced a brilliant diving save to keep his effort out.

From the resulting corner, whipped in by Bucale from the right hand side, Tom Hall was able to bring the ball down with some close control and get a quick snapshot off. His effort beat the keeper at his near post and Radcliffe have three goal cushion. Stafford Rangers 0-3 Radcliffe.

Radcliffe continued to impress with a ruthless performance and scored their fourth goal inside 60 minutes. After a throw in from the right touchline, Scott Johnson drilled in a beautiful cross with the outside of his right boot. The cross fell perfectly for Rhys Moseley who was on hand to tap the ball in. Stafford Rangers 0-4 Radcliffe.

Stafford Rangers managed to peg a goal back after 70 minutes and were helped out by a slice of luck. Stafford right back, Joe Petit had a nice run down the right wing and got at the Radcliffe defence, he crossed into the box from the by-line and the Radcliffe defence made a meal of it, resulting in an own goal and shimmer of hope for the home team. Stafford Rangers 1-4 Radcliffe.

The away side got another goal back five minutes later thanks to a well-placed header from Amari Edbanks-Williams. A free kick from the left wing was punted deep into Radcliffe territory and headed back across the Radcliffe goal. No blue shirts could get near the ball and Ebanks-Williams rose above everyone to nod home Staffords second. Stafford Rangers 2-4 Radcliffe.

There wasn’t to be any late in this second v third match up and Radcliffe will be pleased to close out an impressive victory.

FULL TIME: Stafford Rangers 2-4 Radcliffe.

8 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page