top of page
  • Writer's pictureESPFA


An action packed #MatchweekTen in the NPLFA saw 7 games played in a week full of goals,

drama and local derbies. Only Leek Town v Carlton Town in the JOMA Division was

postponed so we were in for a treat.

In the JOMA Division, Mickleover Sports remain unbeaten at the top of the table after a

dominant 9-0 victory over Stafford Rangers in which Jack Thatcher scored an impressive six

goals. Radcliffe remain in second on 10 points, after a 1-1 draw at home to Mossley. Belper

Town continue their good form with a 1-5 victory away to Witton Albion. The win takes

them up to third place and level on points with Radcliffe.

In the sports Traider Division, Mickleover Sports keep up their perfect record and make it

five wins from five games after beating league leaders Skelmersdale United, 1-3 away from

home. Skelmersdale United sit in poll position with 18 points but Mickleover are just behind

them on 15 points, having played three games less. In the Halton derby between Widnes

and Runcorn, it was honours even as the sides drew 1-1. Widnes remain in third spot, level

on points with Mickleover Sports and Runcorn stay in fourth spot. In just their fourth game

of the season, Brighouse town beat Ossett United 1-2 away from home, moving them up to

sixth and Radcliffe beat Belper Town 0-2 to leap frog them in the league table and move off

bottom spot.

With nearly a full quota of games being played in #MatchweekTen and 14 teams in action,

there was plenty of competition for places in the #TeamOfTheWeek. Congratulations to all

students who have been nominated by their coaches and also to Jack Thatcher of

Mickleover Sports who has been awarded ‘Player of the Week!’ after his brilliant

performance in #MatchweekTen in which he scored six goals!

With 14 teams in action in #MatchweekTen, a nine-goal thriller in the JOMA Division and

two local derbies in the Sports Traider Division, this week’s edition of The Highlights Show is

not to be missed. Catch all of the goal action and match highlights below.

Game Review of the Week comes from the JOMA Division, where Witton Albion hosted

Belper Town. A win for Belper would send them up to third spot and put them right

amongst the pack trying to catch Mickleover at the top of the table where as Witton Albion

were looking to put some distance between themselves and Mossley at the bottom of the



The opening few minutes of the game was like the first round in a heavyweight boxing fight,

both teams not giving too much away and trying to work their opponent out.

It was Belper who landed the first punch just before the ten-minute mark. Lewis Goddard

held the ball up well for Belper and laid to off for Josh Gregory, who was advancing forward.

He took one touch to get the ball out of his feet and had a shot on goal from 25-yards out.

His swerving effort bounced just before the keeper and nestled in t the bottom-right corner.

Witton Albion 0-1 Belper Town.

Witton's first chance of the game came from the right had side after a nice run from Owen

Lees. After marching down the right flank he clipped a ball in behind the Belper defence

towards Owen Wynne. Just before he had the chance to get a shot away, the recovering

Belper defender managed to get a tackle in and prevent the equaliser. From the resulting

corner Jay Ellis whipped in a ball towards the front post that was flicked on by Owen Wynne

and had to be cleared off the line at the back post.

Witton had another chance to equalise five minutes later after a brilliant cross-field pass

from Jordan Coles found Marcus Robinson. After a good first touch with his head, inside the

Belper box, the keeper came out to challenge Robinson. Alert to the situation, he tried to lift

the ball over Outen-Mann in the Belper goal but he managed to make the save and deny the equaliser.

After 20 minutes played, Belper had their second goal of the game. The right back, Ryan

Cheshire was found in acres of space on the right flank and was able to whip a ball into the

Wittton box unchallenged. His low cross wasn’t dealt with by the Witton defence and Sam

Boyall was on hand to finish into the roof of the net. Witton Albion 0-2 Belper Town.

Just two minutes later, Marcus Robinson found himself in another goal scoring position but

couldn’t produce to get his side back in the game. Josh Howard was able to get to the

byline and put a cross in to the Belper box, where Robinson was found in space but his first

time effort looped over the bar.

Belper very nearly had their third goal of the game half an hour in after a deep cross, fizzed

in by Lewis Goddard missed everyone in the box and rattled the back post. Even the keeper

at full stretch couldn’t get near the cross but luckily for Witton they were able to clear.

On the 40-minute mark, Witton very nearly unlocked the Belper defence to score a goal

before half-time. The two Owen’s linked up again as Lees stepped forward with the ball and

played a brilliant through ball into the path of Wynne. After a good first touch he steadied

himself for a one-on-one effort but Outen-Mann, the stand in keeper who usually plays

centre-mid, produced a brilliant save onto the cross bar and out for a corner kick.

Witton Albion finally had their breakthrough just two minutes later after Jay Ellis converted

Marcus Robinsons cross from the right hand side. Owen Lees played a through ball to

Robinson down the right flank who was able to put in an inch-perfect cross for Jay Ellis to

tap in at the back post. Witton Albion 1-2 Belper Town.

Unfortunately for the home side, Belper bounced back from conceding very well and

managed to get their third goal of the game just before half time. Josh Gregory played a

brilliant, inviting cross into the Witton box that was just begging to be put away. Conor

O’Hara was on hand at the back post to head the ball in for the visitors. Witton Albion 1-3

Belper Town.

HALF TIME: Witton Albion 1-3 Belper Town.

Belper started the second half on the front foot and were looking dangerous. Sam Boyall

forced a spectacular save from Cameron Coles in the Witton goal after his long range strike

looked to be heading in for Belper's fourth goal. Unfortunately, Coles couldn’t do anything to

stop Josh Gregorys strike from another Belper corner. The corner was taken short and

played in to the box from the right hand side. Witton were on hand to block the cross but

only as far as Josh Gregory who smashed home his second of the day. Witton Albion 1-4

Belper Town.

Witton had a brilliant opportunity to get back into the game just 10 minutes into the second

half. A corner from the right hand side has hooked away by the Belper defence but only as

far as Owen Lees on the edge of the area. His left footed effort was blasted against his own

team mate, Jonathan Afriyif, on the goal line and then another shot by Josh Woodward was

struck against Afriyif. Witton were unlucky not to have pegged another one back.

The home side had another brilliant chance on the 70-minute mark. Oliver McDonough

showed his pace down the right wing and played a lovely ball across the face of the goal.

Owen Wynne was on hand to poke the ball towards the goal but Outen-Mann produced a

brilliant save and not for the first time in the game.

Outen-Mann was called upon again just five minutes later and once again kept out the

Witton attack. Josh Woodward beat a man on the left wing and cut inside on to his right

foot. He blasted a shot towards goal that forced a brilliant save down to Outen-Manns right

hand side.

The final nail in the coffin for Witton was provided by Sam Boyall who netted his second of

the game on 81-minutes. After a quick counter attack by Belper, Boyall received the ball on

the left hand side of the Witton penalty area. His first touch was delicate, and he was able

to get the ball out of his feet and have a crack with his left foot that swerved past the

Witton keeper. Witton Albion 1-4 Belper Town.

FULL TIME: Witton Albion 1-4 Belper Town.

17 views0 comments


bottom of page